Saturday, January 10, 2009

Your Baby Can Read

I received the "Your Baby Can Read" materials in the mail yesterday (thanks Gigi!) which I unfortunately didn't check until 4:30. I immediately opened the box and started looking through everything. Ben climbed up on a chair and started pulling the DVDs out. He found Volume 2 which had a small 2 in a circle and said "Twooo!" I asked him to put the DVDs back and found a sliding word book and gave that to him to play with (it has words that slide to one side to show a picture of the word and to the other side to show a question about the word).

While I was getting Jack to sleep and Ben was in his highchair eating I put in the starter DVD. We're supposed to show that one twice a day (to both Ben and Jack) for a month until Ben can do the word games at the end. Ben is already following what they say in the DVD ("arms up": he puts his arms up, "where is your tongue?": he points to his tongue).

Later on when it was time to read a book before bed I asked Ben if he wanted to read "Hop on Pop". He said "Nooooo. New book!" So we read through all the words in the sliding word book. =-)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how quickly he is able to start identifying the first set of words. Hopefully by the time Jack is 18 months he will be able to read them too.

I got out Ben's magnetic letters (the kind you stick on the fridge) yesterday. Last night he started pulling them out of the bag one at a time and naming them before he set them on the table. I was amazed that he was getting most of them right and not skipping any (and going really fast). He is still a little confused when letters and numbers are mixed together. He said 3 was "letter E" and also V stumps him when it's upside down because he thinks it is A, etc. Still, he is doing really well - partly thanks to our Nanny Emily who has been working with him a lot every day.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well both kids do with this reading system.

No comments:

Post a Comment